Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Just a Gull

I've seen this one thing that children do
At the verge of a school ground
where a road curves and buses sway

I've seen this one thing that children do

Tossing crusts of bread to gulls
Tossing crusts of bread onto the road
where buses sway

I've seen this and did nothing
Passing by like a coward before such
children who made a game of life and death

I've seen this and did nothing

Walking by with my head down
Walking by with a prayer for children
who have made a game of life and death

And then the pop of a game fulfilled
A death to answer unwitting ends
The children crouched in mute surprise
to stroke the breast and bloodied beak

One girl cried and a little boy gawped
Another shrugged and said, just a gull

And I did nothing and crossed
the road where buses sway

No comments:

Post a Comment